Favorite Things-Vintage Cake Saver & Mary's Cake


    Today I am joining Laurie @ Bargain Hunting and chatting with Laurie for Favorite Things Saturday. Be sure to visit her and see all the fabulous treasures everyone is showing.

    This is a post that I did last summer, but since this is one of my favorite things and the cake I make to go with this vintage cake saver is perfect for summer, I thought I would repeat it again.


    Do any of you remember going to your grandmothers or a favorite friends house and seeing one of these wonderful cakesavers? This one belonged to my Aunt Hazel and everytime you would go to visit her she always had this cakesaver sitting on the counter and it always had something wonderful inside that she had just baked. Hers was the kind of house that always smelled so good and you were always so hungry when you were there. You know that kind. She spent hours and hours teaching me how to cook, and always praised you no matter how bad you messed up. She even forgave that I never could learn how to make bread. So needless to say one of my favorite things is this wonderful cakesaver and her favorite recipe for a cake that tastes just like summer. This wonderful cake has lemon, orange, pineapple, coconut and almond. It just melts in your mouth.



    It makes 3 very light and fluffy layers.



    And the icing is a cooked one just full of pineapple and coconut. Yum



    She always put it in a pie pan to save every drop of icing she always said.



    Then in it would go into her wonderful cakesaver.



    Of course she would cut you a piece, and sometimes a really big one.



    Whenever I make this cake, I always use her cakesaver and the fabulous cake comb with the baklite handle that she used. Sweet memories of a very neat Aunt and childhood. Her recipe was her mother's and it is called "Mary's Cake. Please enjoy.

    1 1/2 c. sugar - 1/2 c. shortning - 3 eggs - 2 c. flour - 3 tsp. baking powder
    1 c. milk - 1 tsp. vanilla - 1/2 tsp lemon juice - 2 tsp. orange peel - 1/2 tsp. almond. Grease and flower 3 8" pans and bake at 350 for 20 to 25 min.

    Icing - 3 well beaten eggs - 2 c. sugar - sm. can crushed pineapple - 1 c. coconut. Cook until thick, add 2 tbl. butter, beat until butter melts. Let cool and then frost layers.

    I am also joining The Tablescaper for Summer Sundays. Be sure to stop by and see all the summer fun.



    Thanks for stopping by, I always enjoy the visit.

Post Title

Favorite Things-Vintage Cake Saver & Mary's Cake


Post URL

http://netdesignworld.blogspot.com/2010/07/favorite-things-vintage-cake-saver-mary.html


Visit Design World for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List